Wayland future and legacy
Plasma 5.14 is right around the corner, time to write again an update like I did for 5.13 on what was achieved in terms of Wayland and what is in the work.
In this last week of my GSoC project I aimed at bringing my code into its final form. The goals for that are simple.
Another iteration and one tough bug
One more time I decided to start from the beginning and try another even more radical approach to my Xwayland GSoC project than the last time. I have now basically written a full API inside the Present extension, with which modes of presentation can be added.
I reworked this week huge parts of my code and I have a feeling that I'm on the right track. I wrote a second mail to the xorg-devel mailing list and the feedback I got back was also way more positive than on the first try.
A new Beginning
After receiving negative feedback in regards to my code I decided to start over. Read here to learn more.
A small Update
This is just a small update on what I am currently working on for my Google Summer of Code project. More content will come in the following weeks
Difficulties and Success Stories
I provided in the past few weeks some general information about my project and hopefully helpful documentation for the multiple components I'm working with, but I have not yet talked about the work I'm doing on the code itself. Let's change this today.
The GSoC Idea
Let's explore the basic idea for my Google Summer of Code project for X.Org. This means talking about how Xwayland currently handles the graphic buffers of its applications, why this leads to tearing and how we plan to change that.
Understanding Xwayland - Part 2 of 2
After last week's overview of XWayland we will dig deeper this time into the inner workings of XWayland.
Understanding Xwayland - Part 1 of 2
In this week's article for my ongoing Google Summer of Code (GSoC) project I give an overview of XWayland's inner working.